The Marvels of Rest
You may be so busy the tasks at hand seem overwhelming. There is much work to do to provide for your kids and grandkids. So how do you rest? Well it’s not a day lying on the beach kind of rest, though that’s nice every now and then. Watching the waves lap against the shore, feeling the warmth of the sun on your skin and the sand between your toes. All this after you apply sunscreen of course. The days we worshipped the sun are over as my friend who had melanoma would tell you. Now we worship the Son, the one who created the moon, stars, heavens, earth and sun!
But I digress. So how do you rest when you have a list of to do’s as long as your arm? Especially when you’re a first born like me who thrives on a sense of accomplishment? Your priority should be those around you, not crossing things off your list. The greatest value in life is to have your home be a place of peace, life and love where laughter abounds. A place of rest, not stress.
A hard worker I know of was Noah. He went from preacher to ark builder, zoo keeper to Governor of a new colony after the flood. But his name in Hebrew means rest. And he did rest in God. It’s a different kind of rest from resting at the tasks at hand. True rest brings peace in your inner man despite the chaos that may be going on around you. So how do you achieve this rest?
Here are 12 R’s that lead to rest:
- Reset priorities. Let go of the lesser things. Providing a place of love, safety and security for our kids should be high on our goals in life.
- Resist the urge to tackle huge tasks all at once. You can have a sense of accomplishment with the short version, just 15 minutes here and there. Place one foot in front of the other. Go gradual.
- Rescue yourself from unforgiveness, from the hold it has on you. It is a heavy load that will weigh you down. The perpetrator goes scott free while you struggle with forgiving someone, even yourself. Let go of the unforgiveness or it will produce bitterness, anger and unhappiness, if you can’t God will help you.
- Refresh yourself. Have coffee or make a connection with friends and family. Take a walk and you will be invigorated as you look at red flowers, blue sky and laughing people.
- Read the Psalms in the Bible. They are full of rest and strength, for there is strength in rest.
- Roar. Be intentional to protect your young ones as the lioness does. Raise your young ones to be safe and successful, whole and healthy for they are your greatest treasure. Also protect yourself as things and tasks would attack you.
- Refocus your trust and life. What do you want to accomplish? God will provide a way when there seems to be no way.
- Restoration. Funny, the first letters spell REST! Choose to leave the shattered past behind as you look forward to a great future.
- Rejoice . Laughter is a great medicine. “…laughter has been associated with health benefits, including less inflammation and improved blood flow…” ( p.12 Time magazine, The Science of Laughter).
- Respirations. Take a deep breath which increases the supply of oxygen to your brain and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which promotes a state of calmness. (according to the American Institute of Stress.)
- Release. As a steam valve releases the pressure creating relief, release whatever is bothering you into God’s hands for He is capable of dealing with the stress for you. There is a saying, Let go and let God.
- Reject Rejection. Stop it in it’s tracks! Find reassurance instead. Raise our young ones to know they are unique and of priceless value no matter what. And remember you are too!
Wow! I just took a deep breath! It’s exciting to take a journey to rest, leaving the land of stress. For in rest you find peace and purpose.
Happy trails to happiness and rest! Love Debbie
samuelswords View All
Sam is a businessman, writer, entertainer, speaker, husband, father to five children, grandfather and great grandfather. Sam graduated from Huntington University with a B.A. in psychology and drama and pursued a degree in Broadcasting from Illinois Central College with graduate degree in Christian Ministry from Christian Leadership University. Sam is the creator of Granpa Cratchet, one of the most successful touring shows in the history of the live events industry. Millions of people see Granpa every year all across the United States at fairs and festivals. His characters have appeared on every major network: Good Morning America, Entertainment Tonight, The Today Show (4 times). Sam and his characters have made over 500 local appearances and on all the major networks; NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, PBN, The LeSea Network, The PTL Network and Praise the Lord. They currently appear all around the world every week on YouTube and Facebook, and on several satellite networks via the Kidz Television Network and The Captain Hook (children's) Show.
Leave a Reply