My husband, Sam, was in respiratory failure with Covid Pneumonia. Having been an ICU nurse many years and I have personally witnessed cases of respiratory failure that resulted in death. Part of me was numb to Sam’s diagnosis and part of me was determined that we would not have a negative outcome. At least he was not on a ventilator which, according to his doctor, has a poor prognosis with this disease.
At one point his oxygen level was dangerously low and he had labored breathing. They placed a Bipap mask on him which seals around his mouth and nose and provides oxygen to his lungs. He was moved to Progressive Care where they could monitor him closely. Due to the Coronavirus Pandemic I could not see him in his desperate time, which increased my desperation, anxiety and concern.
I cried and prayed, “Father in Heaven, spare his life, restore his health.” I read Psalm 103:3b which says “The Lord is the one who healeth all thy diseases.” (KJV) What a promise to cling to! I was greatly encouraged by a conversation with a friend who had gone through this and recovered.
A couple days before Christmas Sam called me early. Usually I called him. He couldn’t talk, but he was bright eyed and signaling thumbs up! I felt hope arise in my spirit! God had turned it around! During this time I found a Jon Reddick song titled, “God Turn it Around.” I believed this was for us! I felt hope, optimism and awe as I listened to this song over and over. That same day my pastor’s wife Amber texted me she kept hearing God whisper the words, “Turn a corner.” Her kids were praying for Mister Sam, who they love. Our daughter Kimberly, who lives in Korea, had people praying on the other side of the world. Our friend Pastor Logan texted that he had been praying passionately for Sam during that same time. He praised God when he heard about the turn around! I felt “Turn a corner” was a word from the Holy Spirit and every day I heard more to help us get through the storm.
I want to share seven L words that will help you get a word from God and understand how that happens.
- Long for it: Seek God, read His word, pray and spend time with Him.
- Look for it: Keep your eyes open for something to just pop out at you. It could come anytime, anyplace. Look for it with excitement that the God of the Universe would care for you enough to tell you something. As you look, sometimes it will find you when you least expect it. The word may really stand out and be everywhere you look.
- Listen: Then listen louder, for the Holy Spirit does speak. He is a personal God who will speak to each individual who seeks Him with open ears.
- Love Him: God inhabits the praises of His people. Praise and love Him for He loves you with an everlasting love.
- Language: Use your speak. Talk to Him and read His Word out loud and you will sense His presence.
- Louder: Seek God with more intentionality and enthusiasm. Turn up your spiritual hearing aid. Expect Him to show up in your life and thoughts. Listen louder, look louder, and love louder!
- Link: Look for a link, or connection to God’s voice in the world around you. His word might come to you through a book, movie, television, or people and especially through His Word, the Bible. For “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” John 1:1 (KJV)
Let me explain a word I got from the Lord to help you understand this. December 26, the His word to me was celebrate. I didn’t understand, I asked God, ” Am I supposed to celebrate my husbands suffering?” What I heard was, “Sam’s dad is dying. He has Covid pneumonia and is 97 years old. Celebrate his life and his entrance to Heaven. He is not slipping into Heaven, he will be arriving with rejoicing and cymbals clanging. And about Sam, rejoice in his healing and recovery. A cause to celebrate in both instances! “ A celebration of life and the Life-Giver.
You don’t have to be in a life or death struggle to hear from God. It’s wonderful that He is God of the details, no matter how big or small. He is present and He gives peace and provision. He can turn around any situation; depression, anxiety, health issues, loss of job or loved one, addiction, even if you’re questioning the purpose in your life, these can all be turned around.
If you don’t know him and are walking in darkness, He will turn that darkness to light. Whether you realize it or not, every situation can produce life or death of one kind or another.
Jesus is the light of the World. In John 8:12, Jesus says, “I am the light to the world and those who embrace me will experience life-giving light, and they will never walk in darkness.” (The Passion Translation) I encourage you to embark on this journey and experience Him now and forever as He turns it around for you.
God has turned around Sam’s health crisis. He is making progress and I have an assurance that even if recovery is slow, recover we will! Blessed be His Holy name!