What Consumes You Can Bring Success
Does what you consume consume you? What you think about and focus on will effect what you become, who you are. So much can consume you: depression, addiction, loneliness, or joy, peace , love and life. You decide, is it better to be addicted to something negative or positive, for something will consume you: life or death, apathy or awareness, emptiness or eternity. Thinking creates pathways in your brain that have negative, chaotic effects in your mind, body and spirit, or positive pathways that soothe your very neurons resulting in peace and calm. (See Dr. Caroline Leaf’s book “Who Switched Off My Brain?”)
The definition of consume is to absorb all of the attention and energy of, to ingest, use up or buy. What absorbs all your attention, thoughts and time? I want to be consumed by my Creator. There is a song by DC Talk called “Consume Me” that says “Consume me, like a burning flame running through my veins…I immerse myself in You…” Colossians 3 says Jesus resurrection is my resurrection too, now and for eternity. He is with me no matter what. That is worth consuming my attention.
Make sure what is consuming you results in life, not death; success and satisfaction, not sadness. Here are four ways to do this.
1. This choosing what consumes you can be a process. Don’t be critical or negative of others or yourself if correct choices aren’t made early or easily.
2. Remember when you say I can’t you are really saying I won’t, for there is a way. It may be like climbing a mountain, one foot in front of the other, rest and enjoy the view as you go. That’s how you get anywhere. The choice is made to move your feet. move out of the way whatever is obstructing your progress or limiting your efforts. You will reach a magnificent vista and marvel in the view as you reach your reward. Climb that mountain with me as we conquer concerns or chaos in your life. Make sure what is consuming you results in conquering, not being conquered.
3. Sometimes you can’t change the circumstance, but you can choose to change your response. The result of this choice can be your greatest reward. We chose to raise our grandson after my son died and it was the sweetest sacrifice we ever made with positive impacts on all our lives.
There are three E’s that will give you more energy and help you reach success whether you are going through a trial or living in triumph. (You didn’t know you would get algebra in this post! E=E3.)
1. Eat- when you think of consuming you naturally think of eating. The more sugar and carbohydrates you consume, the more you want. You actually get hungrier, eat more and gain weight, feeling sluggish. This consuming consumes your energy, your zest will be zapped. So eat right and light and you will be consumed by energy.
2. Exercise- Do a few stretches and walking, aerobics are not necessary. I have health limitations, you might as well. Do what you can. I believe 10 or 15 minutes to start can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. You will feel better like you’ve accomplished something as you accomplish something.
3. Engage- Tackle something that may be a challenge. Engage your mind, reading a book will take you on a great adventure as you are consumed by an exciting experience. Engage socially, this may be an effort that brings great trepidation but also great treasure. Call a friend, have coffee. Rekindle an old relationship which will warm your heart and those you reach out to as well. Engage excellence by being well rested. Don’t be to busy to rest and refresh for this will restore you to optimum function and feeling in life, work and relationships.
1. Repeating thoughts or phrases in our mind will cement them into our brain. Oscar Meyer did this with bologna a few decades ago. ( I’m not even singing it, but I’m sure you all are!) I’m not talking mindless meditation but encouraging you to point your pondering on purpose and you will be blessed. “Thou shalt meditate… day and night…for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” (See Joshua 1:8 KJV )
2. This is not transcendental meditation which has a dark side despite claims otherwise. Claire Hoffman wrote a book about this exposing the dark side of T.M. called “Greetings from Utopia Park.” Don’t empty your mind out so that dark forces can have a place to pounce. Instead fill your thoughts with life, light and love. “Fill your thoughts with my words until they penetrate deep into your spirit. Then, as you unwrap my words they will impart true life and radiant health.” ( Proverbs 4:21-22 TPT) It is comforting to know God’s promises and presence can be unwrapped and called on anytime.
3.Memorize God’s Word and you can immediately have His promises and His peace flood you whenever storms surround. I helped my grandson memorize John 3:16 at a young age, and I am confident it will always be with him.
1. What you fill your time with will fill you. If you obsess about the news and it consumes you with anxious thoughts about society and the world, you may need to turn it off. Just until you are not in a panic at what you hear.
2. If fantasy and games consume you, you might have trouble facing real challenges in life. It’s okay to take a break from life but don”t break from life.
3. If death or loss consume you, each loss is unique and the healing time varies with the individual. Allow time in this instance. You will never get over losing someone, but you can get through it. Don’t be critical of yourself if you or others think you should be through it by now and getting on with life. I still grieve my son and I always will, but it doesn’t consume me. I have a full life to live for God, myself, my loved ones and others I come in contact with.
If the feelings and thoughts that are consuming you are chaotic, crazy or concerning, let them be consumed. Then fill that void left with positive choices, powerful mindfulness and meditation which bringing healing, life and laughter. Find ways to reach out to others and satisfaction and security will reach you. If you suddenly feel failure or condemnation again for some reason, keep pressing forward with these suggestions and I am confident you will find calmness, contentment and be consumed for the positive with life and love.
Addiction, Emotional Health, Friends & Family, Grief, Loss & Recovery, Happiness and Wholeness
samuelswords View All
Sam is a businessman, writer, entertainer, speaker, husband, father to five children, grandfather and great grandfather. Sam graduated from Huntington University with a B.A. in psychology and drama and pursued a degree in Broadcasting from Illinois Central College with graduate degree in Christian Ministry from Christian Leadership University. Sam is the creator of Granpa Cratchet, one of the most successful touring shows in the history of the live events industry. Millions of people see Granpa every year all across the United States at fairs and festivals. His characters have appeared on every major network: Good Morning America, Entertainment Tonight, The Today Show (4 times). Sam and his characters have made over 500 local appearances and on all the major networks; NBC, CBS, ABC, ESPN, PBN, The LeSea Network, The PTL Network and Praise the Lord. They currently appear all around the world every week on YouTube and Facebook, and on several satellite networks via the Kidz Television Network and The Captain Hook (children's) Show.
Leave a Reply